What we offer:
Knowing where to start when defining the next generation of electrified propulsion system is a complex challenge. Proposing and committing to successful future strategies requires confidence, speed, and a detailed insight into the trade offs. ePOP is a fast and powerful offering designed to help you derive a competitive electric drive unit (EDU) strategy and solution. ePOP is a unique combination of process, toolset and experience which allows to embedd 3Dimensions into one problem simulation.
ePOP is a culmination of 5 years of work to help customers solve the Performance, Profit, Sustainability equation. All before investing major resources. That is what we call ePOP - Engineering Beyond Net Zero.
Today ePOP is:
- a tool to assist with powertrain selection (what if analysis, performance prediction, bench marking, etc)
- It can consider different vehicle types (e.g. pas car a-f segments)
- It can consider different uses (e.g. different drive cycles, different bus routes, etc)
- It can facilitate make vs buy decisions for e.g. motor / inverter
- Lifetime emissions can be embedded as CO2eq to compare agains performance or TCO.
How customers use it today:
- Setting an electrification strategy across diverse range of applications
- Understanding how far from optimum any given combination of components is on system level
- Defining hybridization strategy
- Including sustainability criteria in engineering led decisions
Example use case: Main system selection criteria for sub components.
- The “more” the better.
- System Efficiency
- Requirements tailored to platform strategy
- Package Space
- Auto-import of all motor parameters as per eMotor best in class designs (required 3rd party license)
- Automatic Motor Scaling
- Motor concepts library (100’s), this means 500+ concepts of various topologies, 150kW power range
Optimize system level performance, cost and LCA based on optimum battery solution
- Mass & Packaging
- Range & Weight
- System trade-offs NCM, NCA, LFP
- Solid state
Ability to create various types of transmission concepts from scratch, using targets:
- Rated torque
- Rated speed
Estimates internal component masses, inertias. Calculates:
- Mesh losses
- Bearing losses
- Churning losses
- Packaging claim
- Estimation of power losses in inverter (switching and conduction losses for both switches and diodes)
- Based on a standard data input template – easy to add many devices
- IGBT and SiC device loss
- Estimation of device junction temperature
- Compensation of loss estimate according device operating point
- Capable of analysing different inverter architectures with minor modification (e.g., paralleled power devices)
Optimum identified in
example Case Studies
Best LCA: Cradle-to-cradle product development
- Simulate cost and energy benefits across WLTP (Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure) drive cycles for different materials to identify which best qualifies for cradle-to-cradle design
- Sustainability strategy defined via conscious decision making on where the tradeoffs in product performance and cost are to achieve Scope1&2 targets
- Integrated volatile regulatory demands on sustainability into product development process
The most cost competitive?
- Determine lowest cost / most efficient '3 in 1' architectures for a modular EDU family
- Mapping of global vehicle requirements
- Evaluation of 260,00 configurations & definition of EDU specifications
- Highly modular cost-effective strategy defined –minimized investment
- Low number of transmission variants / EDU part nos.
- Simplified motor strategy
Best future technology consensus?
- Determine long term OEM EDU strategy based on 3 in 1 efficiency vs production cost directional analysis covering large range of sub-system technologies
- Strategy developed providing OEM with fundamental EDU strategy and reference, considering multiple transmission types and a matrix of >20 motor technologies / topologies
- Strong correlation of energy simulations from ePOP and OEM more detailed and slower toolset
- Good correlation of the ePOP directional cost models with the OEM high volume production cost predictions
The Story of
Invented by Drive System Design Lt.d with purpose to predict performance and characterize efficiency of components in next gen EVs.
Soon thereafter OEMs and Tier1s use ePOP to screen for future successful technologies.
As outcome from those collaborations, automation and batch running functionality was developed to allow evaluation of large design space
First material provier uses ePOP to simulate performance of recycled materials on benchmark system (ID4) for an OEM
50/50 Joint venture was formed around ePOP to combine Sustainability w Engineering and package in a focused Software.
Promote and execute Early Adopter program with industry players to let market determine 3rd wave of module development.